Network Access in a SLURM Job

Is it possible to access the internet when using salloc or sbatch? I am using a testbed which seems to fetch some information from a server, and I got this error when running my script:

File "/home1/chincheh/.conda/envs/diffart/lib/python3.6/site-packages/armory/utils/external_repo.py", line 86, in download_and_extract_repo
    verify=verify_ssl,
  File "/home1/chincheh/.conda/envs/diffart/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 76, in get
    return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
  File "/home1/chincheh/.conda/envs/diffart/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 61, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/home1/chincheh/.conda/envs/diffart/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 530, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/home1/chincheh/.conda/envs/diffart/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 643, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/home1/chincheh/.conda/envs/diffart/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 516, in send
    raise ConnectionError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.github.com', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /repos/hkakitani/SincNet/tarball/master (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7f14bb11f518>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known',))

This script runs fine when it is not executed using salloc or sbatch.

Unless you need to do a license checkout, we don’t allow internet access to compute nodes. Are you able to get the data before starting your job?

I did download my dataset before submitting the job, but the testbed package I am using seems to hardcoded a version check thing that demands access to Github (last line in the error message: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='api.github.com', port=443)). Without internet access, it is impossible to run this code, right?

As written, it’s probably not possible. I would suggest seeing if you can modify the version check code to fail gracefully if it can’t connect.