Cannot allocate GPUs even though GPUs are available

I am trying to allocate 2 A40 nodes, and each node is with 2 tasks. The job id is 14976637, and here is the command I am using.

sbatch \
    --account=xxxxx \
    --partition=gpu \
    --gres=gpu:a40:2 \
    --nodes=2 \
    --ntasks-per-node=2 \
    --cpus-per-task=8 \
    --mem-per-cpu=2GB \
    --time=12:00:00 \
    xxxx.job arg1 arg2

It shows that the job is pending all the time, even with Priority.

Then I check the gpu status with gpuinfo, and there are 11 A40s available.

I am wondering why I cannot allocate 4 A40 GPUs when 11 A40 GPUs are available. Thanks a lot.

After some experiments, I found one solution to the above strange problem.

In the above situation, although I cannot allocate 4 GPUs (2 nodes, 2 GPUs per node), I can still allocate 4 GPUs (4 nodes, 1 GPU per node) in most of the time.

Since my experiments do not require a huge amount of inter-node communication, so 1 GPU per node works for me.

Things are getting more weird now.

Here we have 21 A40s available, and I am asking for 4 A40s (4 nodes, 1 A40 per node). Even though I have the Priority, I still cannot get allocated.

I cannot appreciate it more if someone could solve this problem.

I am still facing the problem of pending for a long time when A100s are available.

I am wondering how I can get the following information for each node:

1. Remaining number of CPU cores for each node
  2. Remaining memory for each node
  3. Remaining number of GPUs for each node

After I get that information, I can then adjust my request on CPU cores, memory, and GPU for my job.

I am wondering whether there are some bugs in the scheduling system.

There are 32 V100s available. And I am only trying to allocate 4 V100s. Even though I have priority tag of my job, I still have to wait for hours.

Dear Zhangyu,

Were you ever able to find the issue here? I am also trying to understand how CARC allocation works and why it takes so long for allocation even though the GPU is available. If you have any tips, please share.

Dear kchawla,

You can take a look at this post Slurm jobs are stuck in pending, despite GPUs being idle - #11 by csul