Disk quota exceeded, but not according to du

/project/dilkina_438

user/group     ||           size          ||    chunk files    
     name     |  id  ||    used    |    hard    ||  used   |  hard   
--------------|------||------------|------------||---------|---------
   dilkina_438| 32524||    5.04 TiB|    5.00 TiB||  6323403| 30000000

myquota says we are over the disk quota and we are unable to write files, but du says we are at 3.5TB. What went wrong?

I read this post but wasn’t sure how it applies to us. I believe du counts everything in the directory regardless of ownership. Does that mean that we have files that belong to us stored elsewhere?

The du command will not give accurate information for the /project file system because of the file compression used. Using the options du -sh --apparent-size /project/dilkina_438 will give a better estimate of what the total size would be for a different kind of file system, but it will still differ from what myquota reports. And yes, it is possible that files with group ownership by group dilkina_438 may be stored in another directory, but unfortunately there is no easy way to find where they might be.

Thank you. I ran du --apparent-size and got 19T. Don’t think that’s right, as we only have a 5T quota?

I have a question that may be related. I have a directory that is 500G according to du and 1.2T according to du --apparent-size, but the content in that directory sums up no more than 1G. To the best of my knowledge there is no hidden file in that directory. What can be the cause?

As far as I understand, the 19 TB estimate would be for a file system without file compression. The /project file system uses ZFS/BeeGFS with file compression enabled. It seems du does not give good estimates for this kind of file system, at least for our specific configuration.